Monday, August 11, 2008

Vancouver, here I come!

Dum, dum, da dum dum dum dum dum dum da dum dum da da da dum dum dum dum dum dum. In case you couldn’t immediately tell, that is me humming the Olympic theme song. For two weeks, I am completely obsessed with all things having to do with the 29th Olympiad. The Nike commercials, the Water Cube (coolest name ever)...I love it! And I am for sure on the Michael Phelps bandwagon. Last nights relay—oh my gosh! Amazing! Any of you heard of the 14 year old diver, Tom Daley? Gymnastics, track and field, love it all! I must say, that Bob Costas is like my favorite announcer of all time. I kindof have a little crush on him, which has been ok’d by the powers that be since they love him too :) I mean, without the Bob, it just wouldn’t be the same. I have loved the Olympics since I was old enough to watch it and then grew to understand the significance of it. Winter Olympics ice skating was my first love and passion. If you have read my blog before, you know I still think I could be Kristi Yamaguchi and win a Gold Medal if I start training soon. I have the Lillehammer Olympics on VHS, yes, VHS. The Olympics make me feel like the laziest and most inadequate human being on the face of the planet, but also inspire me that people can do amazing things. It stirs up patriotism but also a neat feeling that the world is not as big as it seems. I love hearing all the stories of the athletes, of course I cry at every one…(I mean, I cried watching Cool Runnings people!)...the drama that comes along with such a high level of competition. I love seeing these people that have trained harder than anything we can imagine for this one moment, literally one moment of possible greatness! The moments that make history and make heroes. I am inspired that they have the passion, determination and motivation to drive towards this one thing, this one goal for the thing that they love doing the most in the world. I feel inspired to be a better person. But, when it really comes down to it, it is such a testimony to how amazing our God is! To be able to see such an amazing human body doing such amazing things is only the result of our amazing Creator! So, as I obsessively watch until my eyelids won’t stay open anymore, I also dream of what my own Olympic moment will be like --Vancouver 2010, here I come! :)

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I know exactly what you mean! We've been watching nonstop the past few days and every once in a while I'll think, "If I just train really hard for the next four years, I could beat Natalie Coughlin!" I love the Olympics! Go team USA!

The Shaffers said...

LOVE IT!! My sister in olympics. It's as if we were writing it at the same time! Loved your humming! That was great!