Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Inspiration and Yams...

So inspiration comes from many places. People, heroic acts, places, nature, a beautiful song…

So that brings me to a little guy I like to call…John Mayer. And yes, I know he may have some assistance from “LSD”, but still, he’s amazing!! I was listening to him in the car on the way home yesterday and you know how when you’re driving in traffic, you don’t really pay attention to the words of songs, you are just kind of driving mindlessly…ok, at least I’ll speak for myself. Well, a song from Continuum came on called The Heart of Life. Here’s my favorite part of the song…

You know it's nothing new
Bad news never had good timing
Then the circle of your friends
Will defend the silver lining
Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No it won't all go the way it should
But i know the heart of life is good

I love that. Your friends (and family) defend the silver lining of life. Cool.

On a different note, Our camera batteries have been dead for the last week, this is why there is lots of text, not many pics on the blog right now…How hard is it to change out batteries you ask. Not very, unless you are also having problems remembering if you took a shower this morning or not. And, unless you also have a fetish with the Energizer Lithium batteries and will not use anything else. But, that being said, I’ve got batteries in hand, and am determined to post some pictures tonight! I know you are all on the edge of your seats.

Afterthought of the day...as Skip and I ate dinner last night, I was enjoying one of my favorite things, sweet potatoes. Yummm! Here’s a question…And yes I know I can google this…Are sweet potatoes and yams the same thing?? A very burning question for many I'm sure :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok so that song has been fav since I that cd came out! I instantly loved it because of those words. He is a song master...drugs or no drugs. :) I will choose to believe he does no drugs...not even cigarettes :)

And I don't like sweet potatos or "yams" whatever yams are anyway...so I'm not sure if they are the same

Matt, Andrea, Luke and Halle said...

oh, i'm definitely on the edge of my seat waiting for pics! you better believe it.

and here's your answer about sweet potatoes vs. yams (taken from wholesomebabyfood.com). i was just reading about this yesterday!

So is it a Yam or is it a Sweet Potato? In the United States, Yams and Sweet Potatoes are one and the same and the terms are used interchangeably for the same vegetable. The word "yam" originates from the African word "nyami" which is a starchy root. True yams are tubers. They are found in Africa and the Caribbean and sometimes in Europe.

True yams can grow up to 100 pounds and attain a length of seven feet! Sweet potatoes are "storage roots" and seldom grow to be larger than 2 pound each. Sweet potatoes are in the Morning Glory family and Yams are in their own Yam family. There is a clear difference between the two species and they are not even remotely related.

The difference between Yams and Sweet Potatoes in the United States is only in the labeling, the colour, the texture and the marketing.

What is referred to as a "yam" in the Unites States is the darker reddish skinned, orange fleshed sweet potato. It is typically more sweet and moist. The term "yam" that has been applied to this type of sweet potato was coined by those in the Southern part of the United States. Throughout the South, "yams" are the most commonly used of the sweet potato varietals.

What is referred to as Sweet Potato on the other hand, is the lighter, brownish skinned type. This variety is more dry and starchy than the "yam' and is not as sweet. It also resembles the texture of regular white potatoes.

Ellen said...

OK. This is right up my alley. First, yams and sweet potatoes are not even related to eachother. Sweet potatoes are sweeter (hence the name) and nutritionally superior to the much starchier yam. Second, most grocery stores sell canned "Yams" which are merely sugar coated sweet potatoes (check the ingredient list) but do occasionally sell yams, particularly around Thanksgiving, which tend to be higher in price.

Well, there's your comment from the Food Network freak.