Monday, November 03, 2008

True Love and Sleeping In

So. On this, the Monday following Daylight Savings Sunday, I write to you to say…I miss sleeping in! This is the third year that we in no way get to sleep in as our daughter got up at 5:30, (so 4:30 time change wise). I was not about to get the day going that early so I moseyed on into her room and climbed in bed with her. She laid there awake for probably an hour, but God was good in the midst of my exhaustion and it was the sweetest hour ever! We were both curled up on our sides facing each other, and Reese had her “wankie, soodie.” Which for those of you that don’t speak Reese is her blankie and soothie (pacifier). Anyway, we laid there looking at each other, and both of our eyes eventually started to close. Then I felt her scoot closer to me and put her forehead against mine and she put her little hand on my cheek. Then she moved it and put it right on the middle of my chest and was kindof patting me. All this with her eyes closed. I was so tired I felt like crying (I have to admit), but laying there with her was the sweetest thing ever! Moments that will be etched in my mind forever and that mean way more than an hour of sleep. Having her has taught me so much about what it really means to be a mother, unconditional love (and I mean unconditional)…Sometimes I know I haven’t done the right thing with her or I raise my voice when I shouldn’t have and I ask her to forgive me and tell her I love her so much. She doesn’t remember those things…Eventually she will grow up and experience being hurt, having her trust in someone broken, mean people. One of my prayers for her is that she experiences love as Christ intended it more than the harsh effects of a non-believing world. I think that innocent, unconditional, close your eyes and put your hand on your mommy’s cheek kind of love is rare and one of the most beautiful things I have ever experienced! And only through a child.

But, all that being said…next year, seriously, I am hiring someone to spend the night with my kids so I can SLEEP IN!! :) I'm for real. Any volunteers? I will pay cash.

4 comments:

emily said...

We are super excited about T-2 over here at Casa Alexander!!

Misty said...

that was such a sweet moment :O) thanks for sharing!

Julia Ferrell said...

K, I remember those sweet times at the Lumar house after I brought you home from the hospital. We would take a nap together in the afternoon and there would be your little hand rubbing my cheek. There's nothing sweeter! I'll never forget. Thanks for the memories and the tears. I love you so very much. mom

The Shaffers said...

I loved reading this post, I got so frustrated with Levi today and raised my voice several times and had to ask for forgiveness. We have had those sweet moments too and I am thankful for them. I am also thankful for his short memory and that he still loves his mommy in-spite of her flaws.