Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Our little princess

So as the day and time approach quickly here at the end (I am 35 weeks yesterday) we are getting so excited to meet this new little member of our family. I want Reese to have siblings and I have always wanted a big family. But also as we get closer, I find myself with the mixed emotion of being sad at the reality that we will go have this baby and at that moment, things will change and we won't have Reese by herself anymore. I'm not worried about my love for the new baby or anything, but just sad that it’s not just gonna be “Reeseie” anymore. and wondering how that dynamic is going to work out. She is just so sweet and cute and fun and a joy to us and we have loved loved loved her personality and just love being able to give so much to her and spend so much time with her…I know those things we love about her won’t change and that pretty much everyone in the world has gone through this moment if you’ve had more than one child. I know that once the baby is here, I’ll love it so much and won’t be able to imagine life without it…at least, that’s how I always felt when one of these guys was born. But, it is still a feeling I am struggling with a little here. We are praying daily for the Lord to bless and sustain our individual relationships with Reese after the baby and to allow her to feel loved, special and steady...not overwhelmed or upset by the change in her little life. So anyway, anyone with advice for me, please share! :)

5 comments:

Beth Saladino said...

Kate - I know you have a multitude of friends that you lean on and rely on for advice. So I don't know if you will value my words as much, but I was moved by your blog and wanted to throw a simple but true cliche your way.
When baby #2 arrives (and others after that, if you and the Lord choose), you may have feelings of overwhelmedness. What I tried to focus on is the reality of mathematics in the Lord: He will "multiply" rather than "divide." Your love, your attention, your energy, your joy, your excitement, your everything. Watching Reese love baby T-2 will be a gift and raising her will become something new and wonderful. You may long for days alone with her, but that's when you take an afternoon together, leaving the baby with a willing and loving great aunt! :o)
Love you guys! Looking forward to gazing into the eyes of a new miracle.

Anonymous said...

No advice- just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you. You're all going to do great! Reese will start to shine in new ways and you'll love her all the more because of it.

Mark Cummings said...

Hello Katheryn, it's Uncle Mark. Your mother suggested I look at your blog (which I have on my favorites but haven't looked in a while). I know how you feel about devoting all your time to Reese, knowing the new baby will be here soon. I remember Bradley was a near-perfect little boy, and I almost felt like we were cheating him out of the time we spent with him; knowing the new baby Sarah would require a huge amount of attention. So it was a big adjustment, but pretty soon they both were such a part of the family, we couldn't imagine things any differently. So you'll do fine -- so many surprises and happy days are waiting for you!!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say CONGRATS on sweet baby Beau! Can't wait to see more pics and hear about his birth story! Glad momma and baby are doing well!

Ginger Georges said...

It's been over a decade since I've seen you, but I'm so grateful to get to peek a little into the life God has blessed you with. Our gracious Father just blessed me with baby #2 a couple of months ago. I can completely understand and identify with you all of the fears and feelings you expressed. I rememeber fighting tears the last week or so of being pregnant (not that tears were uncommon... those darn hormones), already missing the way things used to be without knowing how they were yet to be. Let me testify to you that God is good... all the time. While things by no means are the way they were and I cannot always spend exclusive time with my son the way I used to, the Lord gives precious moments of mommy-son time and mommy-daughter time. I treasure those moments. This is a new season, and every season has it's gifts and challenges. His grace is sufficient for every season and is exactly what we need, when we need it. I know the grace I have received is freely supplied to you and your family. May He pour it over you as you wait, trust and rely on Him. Blessings, dear friend. Enjoy the new season.